Your guide to Amazon’s KDP: Learn how to prepare, format, and publish your book on Amazon, plus tips on pricing and promotion.
Table of Contents
Publishing a book on Amazon can be a rewarding endeavor, allowing you to reach readers all over the world.
Amazon’s self-publishing service is called Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). Here is a step-by-step guide on how to publish a book on Amazon through KDP:
Prepare Your Manuscript
- Edit and Proofread: Make sure your manuscript is polished and free of typos and grammatical errors.
- Format: Format your manuscript to meet Amazon’s guidelines. They offer a tool called Kindle Create that can help with this.
Design a Book Cover
- Professional Design: Consider hiring a professional designer to create a high-quality cover that will appeal to your target audience.
- DIY: If you prefer to do it yourself, use Amazon’s cover creator tool.
Create a KDP Account
- Sign Up: Visit the KDP website and sign up for an account.
- Details: Fill in the necessary details, including your name, address, and payment information.
Create a New Kindle eBook
- Dashboard: Once logged in, go to your KDP dashboard and click “Create a new Kindle eBook.”
- Language: Choose the language of your book.
Enter Book Details
- Title and Subtitle: Enter your book’s title and, if applicable, a subtitle.
- Description: Write a compelling description that will entice potential readers.
- Keywords: Choose keywords relevant to your book’s content to help readers find your book.
- Categories: Select categories that best describe your book.
- Obtain an ISBN: You can provide your own ISBN or use a free ISBN from Amazon.
Manuscript and Book Content
- Upload: Upload your formatted manuscript and cover design.
- Preview: Use the online previewer tool to see how your book will look on various devices.
Book Pricing and Royalties
- Royalty Options: Decide on a royalty option (70% or 35%) and set a price for your book. Consider factors like the prices of similar books in your genre.
- KDP Select: Consider enrolling in KDP Select, which gives you access to additional promotional opportunities but requires exclusivity.
Create a Paperback Version (optional)
- Setup: If you also want to offer a physical copy, return to your KDP dashboard and create a new paperback book, following a similar process to the eBook setup.
Publish Your Book
- Review: Review all the details to ensure they are correct.
- Submit: Click “Publish Your Kindle eBook.”
- Approval: Wait for Amazon to review your book, which can take up to 72 hours.
- Notification: Once approved, you will receive a notification, and your book will be live on the Amazon store.
Promote Your Book
- Marketing: Consider ways to market your book, such as through social media, email newsletters, or Amazon ads.
Monitor Sales and Reviews
- Dashboard: Use your KDP dashboard to monitor sales and reviews and respond to reviews if necessary.
Remember that publishing is just the first step.
Building a readership takes time and effort, including effectively marketing and promoting your book.